Thursday, January 1, 2009

It's a New Year!

And I'm starting it with a bad cold! :( I feel miserable. But at the same time I'm hopeful that this new year will be a good one for me and my family and for you. We've had good times this past year and some sad times but for the most part, 2008 was a good year and we hope that 2009 will be the same.

We are starting out the new year with completely new pipes in our house. We discovered a slab leak (the pipes under the concrete slab of our house developed a leak) a week before Christmas and rather than just have the plumbers jackhammer and fix the one leak with the possibility of more leaks in the future, we had the house re-piped. So now there are no pipes in use running under the slab, they are now in the attic. And we got all new pipes at each of the fixtures in the house. That meant that we had a swiss cheese house for Christmas but one with new pipes so that was ok. We got the holes in the walls fixed this Tuesday and then painted those walls yesterday so our house greets the new year in better condition than it was before. Hopefully we won't have to worry about anymore leaks of any kind for 20 or more years.

But in between all those repairs, we saw all of our children sometime during the week of Christmas except our son who is on a mission for our church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, in Germany and we spoke to him for about 2 hours on Christmas day so it was almost as if he was here with us. So this Christmas weekend has been like our year, good things mixed with not so good things, but we made it through just fine and I'm sure, with the Lord's help, we will make it through the new year.

And as far as quilting things go, I finally finished the Christmas quilt for our bed on the Friday before Christmas. It only took me a year to finish! But in between starting and finishing it, I also worked on some other projects--a birthday/Christmas quilt for one of my grandsons, a quilted table runner, a wall quilt for a new nephew, and a stitchery project example for our Super Saturday Enrichment in November, so I was busy. I need to get my husband to download the pictures of all those things so that I can post them here. Maybe this week before he goes back to work on Monday.

Anyway, Happy New Year to you all!

2 comments:

theloulie said...

Hey, I have a cold too, so I can commiserate with you. Bummer about the house, but nice that its all fixed. I like your new blog look!

Becky and Tyler said...

mom...you could always learn how to download the pictures yourself... ;)